Admiral Sir Max Horton (RN) CaptainD, Armed yacht, HMS PHILANTE at Larne, Scotland in August 1943. PHILANTE was purchased from the Sopwith family and converted for the Royal Navy, initially escorting seven convoys across the Atlantic, then in 1943 she joined the Western Approaches Command as part of the Tactical Unit, responsible for training escort ships in the latest Anti-Submarine Warfare tactics. Photo taken from HMCS ARVIDA.
Roger Litwiller Collection, courtesy Howard Abbott, RCNVR. (RTL-HA073)